14 Locations Available in RI
There are (25) listings per page and (1) pages to view.
Churches are listed in order by establishment name. Click
on the establishment name for additional details and contact
Baptist Church in Warren
Russell Warren, architect. Replaces earlier structure, burned in 1778, during a British-Hessian raid. Tower bell recast from original Paul Revere. Rhode Island College, now Brown University, was established in the earlier Baptist Meeting House, 1764.
Beneficent Congregational Church (United Church Of Christ)
Nicknamed the Round Top, plans were inspired from Dublin by its Irish-born pastor, Rev. James "Paddy" Wilson (1791-1839), making it one of the earliest classical buildings in America. Oldest building on the west side of downtown Providence. The beginnings of some Providence public schools were in the school taught by Paddy Wilson. The meeting house is topped by a wooden copy of Lysicrates' monument to music. The original is in Athens, Greece.
Channing Memorial Church
Dedicated to William Ellery Channing, leader of American Unitarianism and anti-Slavery movement. Built largely of porphyritic granite. Stained glass windows by John LaFarge and Donald MacDonald; bronze plaque by Augustus Saint-Gaudens. Church of Julia Ward Howe, author of Battle Hymn of the Republic. Sunday worship, 10 a.m.
First Unitarian Church of Providence
In its steeple hangs the largest and heaviest bell cast by Paul Revere & Son.
First United Methodist Church of Warren and Bristol
Established in 1789, this is the first Methodist church in the state. Tri-level Georgian spire rises 160 feet. Sailors use the light situated from top of spire as a navigation marker when they enter Narragansett Bay.
Meeting House of the First Baptist Church in America
Oldest Baptist Church in America; congregation established in 1638 by Roger Williams. An artistic triumph, featuring a magnificent Waterford crystal chandelier dating from 1792, designed by Joseph Brown. Flawlessly preserved.
Newport Congregational Church
Congregation was gathered in 1695. The entire sanctuary, including stained glass windows, murals and ceiling murals designed by John La Farge in 1880. This is one of only two churches in the country completely decorated by La Farge that is still in existence.
St. Mark's Episcopal Church
Designed by Russell Warren, architect of Providence Arcade and DeWolf residences in Bristol. Distinguished by massive ionic columns and canted enframements of the double doors. Rectory (c.1751), final residence of Rhode Island's last Colonial governor, Josias Lyndon, private ownership. Parish House (c.1860). All three on National Register of Historic Buildings. Thrift shop every Thursday from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the Parish House, except in July & August.
St. Mary's Church
Oldest Roman Catholic parish in Rhode Island, established April 8, 1828. Wedding location of Jacqueline Bouvier to John Fitzgerald Kennedy, September 12, 1953.
St. Mary's Church
Warwick & West Bay
Oldest Catholic church in Rhode Island.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church - Old Narragansett Church
The building is one of the oldest Episcopal Churches in America; one of four original Colonial parishes in the state. Features Queen Anne communion silver, box pews, wine glass pulpit and slave gallery. Oldest church organ (1680) in North America. Gilbert Stuart, noted Colonial portraitist, was baptized here.
St. Peter's-By-The-Sea Church
Site of Varina Winnie Davis memorial stained glass window. Daughter of the Confederacy, vacationed at Narragansett Pier where she died. Window is one of several Tiffany stained glass windows in the church. Built in 1873. National Register of Historic Buildings.
Parish founded 1698. Washington worshipped here in Pew 81. One of the finest structures in America. Features only three-tiered, center aisle wine glass pulpit in America. Organ tested by Handel before sent from England by philosopher Bishop George Berkeley. Queen Elizabeth II and the Archbishop of Canterbury visited in 1976. Tiffany stained glass windows. $3 million rehabilitation completed in 1987 to original specifications. The church has been in use since 1726.
United Congregational Church
Church of the Patriots. Congregation gathered 1695.